Sunday, February 10, 2019

Short Trip to Europe

Due to some integration issues with our acquired company in Holland, I was asked, last minute, to join the CEO and the head of Global Sales to go to Holland in the end of January. With Derrick just being back in town after being away for a week, it was my turn to pack a suitcase and head off to the airport last Sunday. But not before some kisses from my favorite people:
I flew with American Airlines this time and was lucky that my flight was only half full, which meant I got a whole row to myself. This was great, as it meant I could lay down and sleep for a few hours before heading straight from the airport to the office. 
Business travel always sounds glorious but in reality it means long work days (16-20 hours) and one hardly sees anything from the surrounding areas except one the way to and from the office. We did go to the old LightFabrik for dinner one night, which was located right next to our hotel in Gouda. 
Goedemorgen from Gouda:
While the Polar Vortex affected many parts of the U.S., including Tennessee, and the children were home for 2.5 days, it was not as chilly in Europe but we even saw some snow. A few pictures of Gouda to prove that I was actually there:
And a few scenic pictures on the way to the airport on Thursday afternoon. There are water channels everywhere and huge container ships navigate those channels with ease, despite them being quite slim. 
Unfortunately, my flight to Berlin was delayed due to heavy fog and below freezing temperatures. But the flight crew kept us entertained with updates, an optional visit to the cockpit and the de-icing procedures for the plane. 
Once landed, I was delighted to spend a few hours with my father. There is never enough time on those short trips but definitely better than not seeing them at all.
Eating my way thru Europe, a slim selection of the delicious meals I enjoyed:
The next day I was able to sleep in and enjoy a leisurely morning with my mom. I shopped for all the "necessary" supplies to bring back to America and even stopped by a popular gummy bear factory. 
Even though it was chilly and wet, my mom and I managed to get in our obligatory evening walk thru the neighborhood:
On Saturday, it was drizzling all day, but Juergen, Mom and I still went ahead and window shopped a bit in Potsdam. I could not resist the big chocolate bear:
The rest of the evening was spent playing cards:
By coincidence, my little brother was in Berlin that same weekend while I was there, so we had the chance to catch up. My brothers and I enjoying a Sunday Brunch together:
And that concluded already my short trip to Europe. It was only a few days but despite the few hours of sleep and the extra work stress, it was so worth it as I had the chance to see and hug my family. Long flights can be tiring but this view never gets old:
Flying in to Philadelphia
Meanwhile on the home front, Derrick managed to keep everyone alive (despite a brief stomach bug) and sane while school was cancelled/ delayed multiple times that week: 
Elliot and his friends even enjoyed a puppet show at school, hosted by the Nashville Library:
But best of all was coming home and being reunited with my babies:

No comments:

Post a Comment