Tuesday, May 12, 2015

A Perfect Weekend

Our perfect weekend started off with a great Friday. The kids and I went again to the strawberry farm but this time we met some other mommies (from my MOPS group) and their children there.
After introducing everyone, we went ahead and started picking. This time I brought a spray bottle filled with water with me so that I can rinse off the freshly picked berries in the field. Amelia and Elliot loved eating those strawberries. Both together probably ate more than a pint (don't worry, eating is allowed while picking).
Afterwards we all went to a nearby park (a bit out in nowhere if you are not visiting the farm) and enjoyed our picnic lunch under the covered pavilions before the kids ran off playing with their new friends on the beautiful playground (every new park/ playground we discover is nicer than the one before). This old mill stood at the entrance of the park.
On Saturday, we had planned something special for the whole family. We started the day off by window shopping in a nearby town and enjoying a Starbucks treat. Then we headed over to a local farmer's market to check out the flowers, fresh produce, breads and more. It was very busy at the market but we did buy a few things (including the most delicious donuts I ever ate) and even met a couple of very nice people. Afterwards we had a typical American lunch consisting of hamburger steak burgers, fries and soda at a new restaurant called Char Grill. I hardly ever eat a burger but this one smelled and looked delicious and tasted awesome.
But the highlight of the day was taking the kids to see "Cinderella" at the Community School of Davidson.
The entire cast consisted of children and teenager and the show was geared toward children. The children in the audience were asked to participate and while Elliot slept thru most of it, Amelia enjoyed her first theater production a lot. 30 minutes prior to the show they had some free pre-show activities for the kids, where they could meet the cast and play some games.
The kids were seated on the floor, right in front of the stage and were included in the play by participating on stage or answering questions. Amelia had the opportunity to dance at the ball and help fit the glass slipper on one of the stepsisters' feet.
It was a great play and a perfect start to expose my children to the arts. I grew up seeing lots of children theater productions and loved it, still do. I hope to instill that same love for the arts in my children.

We finished off that exciting day by getting wet and dirty in the backyard. This kid is such a tomb boy and often acts like an animal. I probably shouldn't have let him lick the water (that run off from watering my flowers) off the patio but he was having too much fun doing it. And he looked darn cute too.
And this little girl loves the dirt too even though she was still dressed in her favorite princess dress.
And then it was Sunday: Mother's Day. I woke up to kisses and cards from my children and Amelia probably said "Happy Mother's Day" fifteen times to me that day. 
We didn't have any plans for Mother's Day except for going to church (where I received a couple of flowers for the backyard) and then relaxing at home. We ate homemade strawberry rhubarb cake and my loving husband cooked us some delicious meat on the BBQ. 
I enjoyed a beautiful day being surrounded by the loves of my life and I feel blessed to call myself Amelia's and Elliot's mommy. It was a perfect family weekend of excitement and relaxation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment