Friday, July 10, 2015

Remembering my Oma

On  July 3, 2015 my dear Oma (my mom's mother) was called home to be with the Lord and is now reunited with her husband (after 20 years) and her son (after only 5 short months). She was one of the strongest women I ever knew and a fighter till the end. She did not complain much about anything and especially not about any pain that the cancer caused her. Her life was tough but she made the best of it and lived a happy and fulfilling life, always taking care of others.  She was a humble woman of God and a great wife, mother and grandmother. She is survived by 3 children, 9 grandchildren and 9 great-grandchildren.
After a 5 month battle with cancer, she eventually fell asleep peacefully in her bed with her daughter by her side and after saying her goodbyes to her 3 children. Family was always most important to my Oma. She lived for celebrating birthdays and holidays with the entire family and never forgot a birthday or anniversary.
My Oma and her 4 children - June 2012
My Oma and her grand- & great grandchildren - June 2014
Annemarie Stollin (Seeligmann) was born on May 30, 1926 in Berlin, Germany. She grew up during the Great Depression, WWII and in poverty but despite facing a lot of hardships, she always said that she had a happy life. My grandmother and my grandfather, who was wounded badly in WWII and since then disabled, raised 4 loving children, worked hard and never gave up. They not only survived the harsh times but prospered and were able to enjoy their modest retirement: living for God, family and taking care of others. 
My grandma, her brother and parents - 1928
Oma - 1943
I'm relieved she got her angel wings (she kept asking for those the last few days) and also happy that my kids and I had the chance to see her and spent time with her in January. Those 2 weeks were some of the toughest I faced in my life (mentally and physically straining) but also the ones that will stay in my memory forever and give me the most closure.
Despite the fact that I'm the grandchild that lived the farthest away from my Oma, I had the closest relationship with her. When I was younger I spent a lot of my vacations with her and when I left Germany, we sent letters to each other. Every month for the past 14 years, I would receive a handwritten letter from her and I would sent one back. It was "our" thing to keep in touch. The last letter I received was dated June 5th. 
I will miss her a lot but in my heart I know that she is where she wants to be, reunited with her husband and son. She will never be forgotten and we will always celebrate the day of her death since it is not only the day she has met the Lord but also my wedding anniversary. And one day, we will meet again. She said that she will leave the door open for us, but only ajar for now...

"A great soul serves everyone all the time. A great soul never dies. It brings us together again and again."  Maya Angelou

No comments:

Post a Comment