Thursday, January 21, 2016

Home bodies

For the past week, we have been home bodies. Amelia started off with a cold but got some fever on Friday and on Saturday morning she complained about her ear hurting. Since I had constant ear infections as a child, I'm always alarmed when a child complains about an earache and know that it hurts. So off to the urgent care center we went. I'm glad we did because she spiked 103F (39.4C) fever and was diagnosed with a double ear infection. No wonder she was so irritable. 
Even Lammie got a check-up





Combine her ear infection with a stuffy nose and a cough and you have one cranky girl. Luckily, Elliot seemed fine and only started with a runny nose on Tuesday. So no preschool for Amelia on Friday (sick day), Monday (Martin Luther King holiday) or Tuesday (teacher work day). Since Derrick had to head back down to SC for work this week, I have been on my own since Sunday morning taking care of the kids and it wasn't fun...for either of us. There was screaming, crying, fighting and grouchiness all around. Honestly, as soon as the kids were in bed each night, I sat down on the couch and stayed there till it was time to go to bed. I was just too drained to do anything else.
Indy and myself resting on the couch
To entertain us and don't go stir crazy, we did play-dough, went for an afternoon walk when it wasn't frigid outside, watched some movies and made some banana bread. I also pulled out our play tent, where the kids like to read books in or play on the Ipad. They both play well together on the Ipad and I'm always amazed when I listen to their conversations. She is teaching him the in and outs of each game and he soaks it up like a sponge.

Since we had really cold temperatures here the past few nights (think 14F/ -10C) and daytime highs were only around 32F/0C, we were delighted to see some thick snow flakes coming down yesterday afternoon for an hour. It wasn't much but enough to head outside and scoop up it up and go for a short walk to the little lake that is located behind our backyard. It looked beautiful: the lake was half frozen while the fountain was still going in the middle.
There is more snow in the forecast for the weekend and freezing rain as well as sleek road conditions for tomorrow, which means no preschool again. Luckily, Derrick is coming home tonight as I thought it would be too dangerous to drive in those conditions on Friday because this is the South and we are not used to icy roads or more than a dusting of snow. So we will be staying home this weekend, eating comfort foods and warming ourselves in front of the fireplace. This is my new favorite spot in the house, where I enjoy reading or playing board games with the kids. And obviously, I'm not the only one enjoying this warm spot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment