Saturday, January 9, 2016

New Year, New Routines

It was the first week back to preschool after winter break and with the beginning of the new year, we had to implement some new routines too. Since my husband is now working as a contractor for a major company in South Carolina, he is every other week on the road (from Sunday thru Friday) while I and the kids hold down the fort here in NC. We were all ready to get back to a routine after a 2-week break and all the craziness from the holidays. Amelia was especially ready to get out of the house (since it rained so much here, we were not able to be outside as much as we wanted to during the break) and reunite with her classmates. She had a fabulous week at school, making with fake snow, experimenting with vinegar and baking soda, playing and learning. 
But with Daddy's new work schedule also came some changes. It meant that I had to solo-parent for an entire week, which was quite an adjustment. Let's just say that I didn't do much after the kids went to bed as I was too tired. Every night, both kids and our cat ended up in bed with me and I never sleep too well when my husband is not home. 

Since it was our coldest week here yet (lows at night at 18F/ -5C and in the high 30sF/ 3C during the day), we mostly spent our afternoons inside. We did go for a couple of walks thru the neighborhood, but they didn't last too long. It almost took longer to get us all dressed than we spent outside. 
The other days, we played games at home. Elliot loves to watch Amelia when she plays her learning apps on the Ipad. Lately, she  enjoys teaching him new things and he is a very interested student. My little girl is also eager to help out around the house (i.e: sort and fold the laundry, empty the dishwasher) and gets better at it every day. I'm secretly training my replacement :)
We also spent an afternoon at our local library. While Amelia read to Baron, the German Shepherd (a certified therapy dog), Elliot read to the stuffed pony and played with some toys. 
This week, I also instituted a new, fun family activity: after nap time, we all sit together in the kitchen, eat snacks, drink hot cocoa or tea and read a storybook. So far, we all really enjoyed this time together and it gives the afternoon a fun but calming new twist. 
 
Even though, our week went fairly smooth and for most parts, the kids behaved well, we were all delighted when Daddy was back home on Friday afternoon. Our home just does not feel the same when our "Captain Daddy" is not around.
Happy weekend to all of you. We have no big plans but to relax at home and play. Just perfect on this rainy and cold Saturday. I will leave you with a picture of myself as a 3 year old (this was taken in preschool and I screamed because another kid pulled on my leg) and my son, 2 years old. Do you see any similarities?

No comments:

Post a Comment