Sunday, August 6, 2017

Summer Fun is Coming to an End

We are on the last day of summer break before school starts back off on Monday. Somehow, this summer break seemed much shorter and I do not think we are ready just yet for 1st grade and preschool. I have a feeling that the first week of school will be tiring and exhausting, especially since a special little girl is turning 6 on Thursday.

This last week of break, we took it easy and stayed home and played a lot, met friends at the pool and just relaxed. Being off work on Monday and Tuesday was nice as we enjoyed our slow mornings, watching the road construction crew rip up our street and putting new asphalt down all within 24 hours. 
This summer we also read a lot, even our cat likes some magazine articles:
 Tuesday we met some of my MOPs friends at the pool for some fun in the sun. 
But we also started back up with the chore chart and easing in to helping out around the house as well as doing some homework every afternoon. That way, the first week of school won't be too rough. 
The rest of the week, we hung out indoors (while I was at work in the am, Derrick watched them and then we switched for the afternoon) as it was rainy and the kids seemed to be getting over a little virus/ growth spurt. Keeping them entertained with painting, play-doh, toys and movies:
But for the past 3 days the weather has been awesome, so we all spent lots of time outdoors. Especially since we woke up to high 50s F (15C) on the weekend. Lots of yard work got done as well as a run in the park by myself and a couple of visits to the playground. 
Lunch on the porch was a must:
Derrick has worked hard on evening out the yard with extra sod and taking care of the "pool maintenance". Hopefully soon, this big eye sore of a pool will be gone and we can start reclaiming our backyard. 
Look at my humongous pumpkin plant. Yes, this is one plant, grown from one seed. It is growing like crazy, even after Derrick hacked off one side, but no pumpkins on it yet. 
Thanks to my husband who captured me and the cat taking a little nap on the floor after lunch: 
We also worked on sorting thru tons of paperwork (Kindergartners bring lots of papers home), organizing a closet and getting ready for the new school year. This meant that my two guys were busy fixing things up and putting a couple of nightstands together. I love how Elliot admires his Daddy and wants to do exactly the same thing as his role model. He is always ready to assist his Daddy: 
My mini-me wanted her toenails painted just like me and how can I say no to that request:
While this week has been a good ending to a fun-filled and busy summer, it also signaled the upcoming start of the new school year. We had meet-your-teacher night at Amelia's school on Tuesday and on Friday at Elliot's preschool. I will talk more about it in my next post. Both children are excited and ready for their new adventures and to kick off the school year with a bang. Backpacks are packed and ready to go for tomorrow, their school outfits are hung out and my babies are eager to meet their new classmates and start learning. I'm on the other hand are not as ready as they are to let go. My last little one will be going 5 days a week to preschool while the big one takes the school bus home. I'm certain at least one of us will have tears in their eyes tomorrow at drop-off...

No comments:

Post a Comment