Friday, January 13, 2017

My current view on America

I came to the U.S. over 15 years ago and planned on staying only a year to work as an Au-Pair for a family who lived in Florida. I never dreamed of coming to the U.S. in the first place or staying here for good. But I liked living here (the opportunities available for anyone and the openness of people) and decided to continue with my higher education in the States. I worked hard on and off campus and eventually became a U.S. citizen. I married the love of my life and we have two beautiful children. Why I'm telling you all this? So you know that I'm as much as a citizen as everyone else and I have rights and duties that come with this honor. 

Only a few more days and President-Elect Trump will be sworn into office. I can't say I'm not a bit nervous about what is going to happen while he is in office. A lot of people are. And not just here but all over the world. What will happen to our economy? And our relationships with other countries? Will there be Cyber wars ensuing? How will our unemployment rate be affected by the changes in the government? Will there be health care available for millions of people? These are all major issues and not one of them has been addressed properly so far, leaving me to wonder how he will tackle these issues in his first 100 days as President.

Also, I'm worried about the ethical ramifications that will come along with a soon-to-be President that belittles people and uses words that I don't want my children to hear about. What will happen to the sophistication of the Office of the President and our international relationships when we will have someone in office that gives a speech like a third-grader and goes on constant Twitter hiatuses. Since the election in November, no changes have been noticeable in  the behavior of Donald Trump. He is still attacking his opponents, blaming others and did not drop his business ties nor published his tax returns. And honestly, I can't see that the presidency is going to change Donald Trump much but rather that he may change the presidency. He will be like no other president before him, that's for sure. 

I want my children to look up to the person representing the highest office in this country and learn about and from him but for now, I will shield them as the President-Elect can be as explosive as a nuclear weapon.   Maybe, I'm overreacting about all these issues and once President-Elect Trump is in office, he will surprise us all and act presidential. I give him the benefit of the doubt. I know changes are coming and sometimes changes are good. All I can do is be to hopeful, pray and know that this country had its up and downs before and survived it every time,  even grew stronger because of it.  

However, I feel blessed to be a U.S. citizen and it is my duty to respect the office of the president, albeit I may not share the same views as him and dislike the person he is. Despite the change in government, I still believe we all can have a positive effect on our environment and that working together will make us stronger and happier. Some may call me naive but  I always have and I always will believe in the best of people and I will do what is best for my family. It may not always be the easiest route traveled or the most popular one but it is one engraved in my heart and soul. So while I may be skeptical and anxious about our new president coming into office, I'm also certain that this country is build upon the believe to do what is best for its people - Not just for one group of people but all- and that this will not be forgotten or overlooked.

*I wrote this post because these thoughts are on my mind and I wanted them being written down, for my own memory. I'm sharing them so people can get to know me better and as an answer to an often asked question "How do you feel as an American nowadays?".  I do not want to cause any conflicts or mean discussions. You are my friend because who you are and not who you vote for.*  

No comments:

Post a Comment