Sunday, February 15, 2015

Remembering my Uncle Bernhard

One of the reasons why I traveled so spontaneously to Germany was my uncle Bernhard was very ill. He had been laid up in the ICU for several weeks, waiting on a transplant. And since I wasn't able to call my favorite uncle, I knew I needed to go and see him. I visited him almost every other day while I was there. The first couple of times I saw him, he was awake, in good spirits and we chatted for over two hours. We even took a selfie together...
But due to more health complications, on January 30th, 2015 my uncle went home to be with the Lord. We are heart-broken because he passed away way too early and we miss him dearly, but we know that he is not suffering any longer and is now reunited with his dad, my Opa Franz.
He is survived by his loving wife Angela, his son Thomas as well as my grandmother, his sister (my mom) and his two brothers. Even though I wasn't able to attend his funeral (my return flight was already booked), I feel thankful and content that I was able to be with him while he was still alive.
Uncle Bernhard and his wife Angela, October 2011 
     
My grandma and her 4 children/ My mom and her brother Bernhard
When I was little and before my uncle Bernhard had his own family, he spent lots of weekends visiting my mom, brother and me in Berlin. Those weekends were always full of laughter, roughhousing and fun. Even when I moved to the U.S., I stayed in close contact with my godfather via letters and postcards. My uncle was a dedicated philatelist and loved receiving stamps and postcards from all around the world. His other favorite pastime was traveling, especially by car and bus. We always joked that one day they will build a bridge between Russia and Alaska and then he will come and visit me in Florida.
  
Me and my uncle in August 2008
Amelia and Elliot with my Uncle 
I'm still trying  to understand why such a good and God loving person had to endure so much and leave this world far too young but I know that his spirit lives on. And one day we will see him again when we are all called home.

"Jesus said to her, I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die." John 11:25-26 

No comments:

Post a Comment