Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Red, White and Blue

This Friday is Veteran's Day and we will honor all military personnel that served in the U.S. Armed Forces. Not many people know that my husband (and Father-in-law) is a veteran as well. He was a Captain in the Air Force and was stationed in Saudi Arabia during Desert Storm and served in Panama and Venezuela. I'm proud of my husband for serving our country for 7 years and thankful to all the other brave men and women who serve and protect us. 
On Sunday afternoon, our town held their annual Veteran's Parade along Main Street and we were happy to wave our flags and greet our local veterans. The weather was perfect, the crowds minimal and the atmosphere patriotic. 
On Monday, Amelia's school asked all students to were their favorite red, white and blue attire for "Patriotic Day". My girl loves the American flag and this was her outfit of choice: 
The parade the day before must have inspired them because this was the scene I ran in to on Monday morning: 
And today, after what felt like the longest election process ever, we voted. Almost two years ago to this date, I became a U.S. citizen and this is my first time ever to vote in an election (I left Germany when I was just 19 years old) and as a proud U.S. citizen, I have the right and obligation to vote and so I did. Because to not vote is still making a choice. 

Like many, I'm less than thrilled with my options in this election. Both candidates have made poor choices in the past and have treated others wrongfully. Unfortunately, the media only worsened their hate campaigns by not giving a thorough presentation of the faults and facts on either side. I just hope that the more qualified candidate wins tonight but either way, there will be lots of work ahead of us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment