Friday, December 16, 2016

Christmas Activities and Birthday Celebration

It is already Friday and I'm just now sitting  down to write a new post. This week was a bit chaotic as Derrick was traveling all week and both kids have been sick for a couple of days. Luckily, they recovered quickly and we are back to our normal selves. I'm really looking forward to having my hubby back home tonight (even though he is fighting a head cold). Only a couple of Christmas gifts are left on my list and the preparations for Amelia's Christmas class party are in full swing and once that is complete, I will rest and rejoice. 

Last Tuesday, my MOPS group held their annual Christmas party and we ladies had so much fun. There was lots of good food and fun games. We also did a Christmas sock (filled with goodies) exchange:
Because the weather turned really cold and I was reminiscing about visiting a German Christmas Market and there is nothing around here like that, we made our own: decorations and lights and German Christmas cookies and hot cocoa (Gluehwein for the adults) in hand. 
On Saturday, the kids and I finally baked some delicious Christmas cookies. There was lots of cookie dough testing and sprinkles everywhere but it was lots of fun too. We may bake again this weekend but this time I will make sure that we have all the ingredients on hand and don't have to do a store run in between. Me and my little helpers:
Elliot's birthday celebration continued with a lunch and huge birthday cake at Nancy's house (Derrick's co-worker) on Sunday. Because Nancy and Elliot share the same birthday (70 and 3 years old), she invited us over for a delicious lunch. Nancy is such a sweet and kind lady and I am so happy we could celebrate both their birthdays together. And of course the kids loved playing with her cat and dog. 
My little girl just wanted to cuddle after lunch. I live for those moments when they come up to me and want to be held. 
Despite the fact that Derrick was out of town and both children were under the weather, Elliot still loved hearing his birthday song (with my brother and his wife via Skype) and blowing out a candle on his actual birthday on Tuesday. This boy was truly enjoying 3 birthday celebrations this year and devoured every cake, cupcake and donuts with pleasure. 
This pretty much sums up our Tuesday and Wednesday this week: lots of cuddles, tv and rest. 
And when we felt better, we did some play dough and painted some ornaments:
At night time I enjoy sitting wrapped up in my blanket, especially since outside it was below freezing for the past few nights, our cat on my lap, fire blazing and watching a romantic Christmas movie or reading a good Christmas book. This is one of my favorite and most relaxing things to do during this time of year and I look forward to that every year.
While this is the season of giving, the kids and I have worked on blessing other people this week. We delivered a big tray of cookies, a thank you note and some nuts to our local firefighters as well as putting a whole bunch of quarters in the shopping carts at Aldi. Hoping to continue with this little project over the weekend.
We are looking forward to a relaxing and low-key weekend and of course, our Daddy. There is even a chance for snow on Sunday...let's hope the forecast is correct.

No comments:

Post a Comment