Tuesday, February 21, 2017

February Update

Nothing really pretty or exciting happened this past week except that I met up with a dear friend of mine on Saturday. All week long, the kids were sick (first Amelia and now Elliot) and so we spent lots of time in our pj's, playing games and watching movies. While Derrick did came home from his business trip a day early, he also came back sick. This makes me the only one who is not being affected by this viral respiratory infection. Let's pray it stays that way! 
Cat, kids and myself hanging out on the couch
I did take Amelia to the doctor on Thursday, but she did not test positive for the flu (we are vaccinated), so no medication was necessary just lots of water, rest and cuddles. In the entire State of Tennessee there were a lot of school closings these past 3 weeks due to a high amount of children and teacher being sick with the flu. Luckily, Amelia is feeling better and will return to school tomorrow after being home for a week now. These extra two days off from school due to President's Day and a teacher-work day today ensured that she recovered long enough. 
Even though there was some crankiness going on this week and both children were easily worn out, I actually enjoyed having both of them home and not to rush to go anywhere or be on time for something. While sick days always throw off the entire schedule, they are also making you slow down, relax and take one day at a time. So I used our downtime to paint some peg dolls and vehicles for the kids. These rainbow children are definitely one of my favorite peg dolls I ever made.
Since Amelia doesn't nap, she goes to bed at 7pm while Elliot stays up till 7:30pm. He enjoys the extra 30 minutes he gets with us and usually reads to us or plays with his "map" (in this case the instructions to a memory game) or uses his imagination when he plays with his toys. Here is a little video clip of him and his map:
On Friday, we decided to make our first fairy garden. Amelia likes to read stories about fairies and knows that "they mostly come out to play at night" and so we put together a fairy playground. It turned out really cute and I may have been more excited about it than the kids. 
Since this weekend and all of this week, the weather has been very spring like with temperatures reaching the 70s (21C). It feels more like April weather than the middle of February and I like to sit in the sun and listen to all the birds singing in the trees. Amelia and I did some weeding this weekend in the backyard and discovered a whole bunch of tulips ready to bloom soon. 
And then we played some Frisbee. This little girl is getting really good at it and we now play every day for a few minutes. 
While all the sick ones stayed at home on Saturday, I enjoyed a great afternoon with my friend Betsy Jo and her two girlfriends in downtown. She was in town for a girls' weekend and I was so glad, we were able to meet up. I miss spending time with her and this afternoon definitely refilled my friendship tank. We girls went to see the movie "LaLaLand", which I didn't like very much until almost half the movie was over. But the end definitely made the movie and I have a feeling, I will watch it again soon. Just something to dream about...
Movie date with a dear friend
Before heading out to dinner on Broadway, we took some pictures, of course:
And then it was time to say "See you later" but I hope we will meet up again soon.
Today was the first time venturing out with the kids and naturally, we went to Target. While I shopped nearby, the kids entertained themselves: 
Hoping that we are soon all better again and can enjoy this beautiful warm weather (even though I wouldn't mind one big snow day). Stay healthy, my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment