Monday, January 29, 2018

Back to Normal

Since our extended Christmas break due to the weather here in TN, it took us a few days to get back in to a routine after school started back off.  Up to January 21st, the kids only attended school 4 times, which meant that the parents had to get creative and figure out what to do with them while still going to work. Luckily for us, Derrick works several days a week from home and was able to supervise Amelia while Elliot went to preschool and I went to work.
Playing school with the cat

Self-imposed number writing
On other days, I took her to work with me, which by the way, my daughter absolutely loves. She chose a desk and moved right in. All my co-workers are now displaying her art work on their desk. 
When both kids stayed home, Derrick took the day off and went with them to an indoor trampoline place for a couple of hours. He is definitely the cool parent. I only made up by bringing them Chick-Fil-A for lunch. By the time, the snow had melted and the temperatures were back to a more acceptable level, everyone was ready to go back to school and a regular routine. Last week, we started swim lessons, and the kids love it. My water babies have a private swim instructor once a week at the Y and are making great progress. 
I even took some time and went with my girlfriends to the movie theater to watch "The greatest Showman". This movie was awesome and I highly recommend it. I loved it so much, I bought the soundtrack. Now, Amelia and I are constantly listening to it. 
Did I mentioned that Derrick and I love hanging out with our two kids...the last half hour before bedtime, we usually spent together sitting on the couch and watching a show. 
So this little boy of mine brought me to tears at 6am one morning for being so selfless. Even though it was his sister's turn to empty the dishwasher, he volunteered and for a job well done, he was rewarded with a quarter. After we gave him the money to put in his piggy bank, he declared that he rather will take it to preschool to put in the missionary jar. His preschool collects change for a teacher who is on a missionary trip in Thailand and my son selflessly gave his hard-earned money to this cause without being prompted. This gesture made me think twice about how easy it is to be a bit more selfless and caring about others and filled me with pride. If a 4 year old can do it, surely we adults can too. 
Proud boy
One afternoon last week, we had a play date with our friends and my kids were so excited. I guess we don't have that many people coming over and they always love when friends come to play. 
On Thursday night, Amelia's school hosted their monthly Family Night and this month theme was art show. From every student at the school a picture was exhibited for all to look at. 
But there was also plenty of hands-on things for the children to do. Bongo drums:
And a private lesson:
An Instrument Zoo with some unusual instruments made from materials used every day in the household:
And an art studio, where the children were able to paint a picture for a collage wall and use their imagination with clay:
We finished the week off with Pajama Day for Elliot:
So far, we have been able to stay healthy and escape this flu epidemic that is haunting the country. At least until Sunday, when my body just shut down and I wasn't able to do anything except lay in bed and rest and sleep.
Luckily, I was feeling much better on Monday and I'm back to my normal self. Just in time for a busy week ahead at the office before I go on another business trip to Europe this weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment