Saturday, June 27, 2020

June Happenings

Next to being a bit out and about (which we have reduced again due an increasing amount of new Covid cases locally as well as nationwide), we also had fun and found things do in and around the house. For starters, Elliot lost 2 front teeth within a couple of weeks. Look at this toothless smile:
It was so hot and humid the first week of June, that we put up our little pool in the backyard and cooled off. Even I got in after my morning run on a Sunday. 
The kitten also settled in nicely...she is friends with everyone. Our older cat is still not 100% convinced of the little energy bundle but she accepts her. 
 She likes sleeping in the guinea pig cage...but only if the guinea pigs are in there as well.
Ella got spayed this week  and is supposed to stay calm and not run/ jump much, which is really not working. She seems to be doing great, except she does not enjoy the sock of shame over her healing scar:
Outdoor reading time: 
Enjoying a cooler evening on the porch while the kids catch fireflies in the yard:
Homework helper and artist enthusiast:
On a Friday a couple of weeks ago, I took Amelia to the park to ride her bike. Since we live in a hilly neighborhood, learning how to ride the bike is not practical here. We tried last year but she was always too afraid. Well, after a few minutes at the park, she got the hang of it and she rode for 2+ miles around the park. So proud of her. 
And then, only 3 days later I took both kids to the park to ride their bikes. Amelia went right on her bike and was able to get on/ off by herself and then circling around the parking lot while I was teaching Elliot how to ride his bike. I was so proud of them and myself (lots of sprinting after them) that it only took them a day and both are now riding their bikes with no training wheels. 
Our garden is growing too: beautiful flowers, tomatoes, sugar snap peas, lots of cucumbers and yellow squash, carrots, eggplants, kohlrabi, rhubarb, lettuce, kale, chards and onions. 
Last Sunday, we celebrated The Best Dad on Father's Day. I feel beyond grateful to be raising these two kids alongside with him. He is a great father, partner, mentor and our favorite! 
We topped the day off with a walk in the park. Only to see up close a groundhog eating kale and not being bothered by anyone. 
This was my Thursday afternoon project: I painted my home office. Since I have been using my craft/ art room daily now as a office, I wanted a more suitable office color. I really like how it turned out. 
Two nights ago, after a long and busy day, I relaxed on my front porch at night and lo and behold out of the hedge comes a skunk. I was only a foot away and definitely in spraying range but it did not seem to mind. It seems to be a regular who checks out my bird feeder. 
And because it was so such a nice evening, the entire family hung out last night on the front porch/ lawn: beautiful sunset courtesy of the Saharan sandstorm, wine coolers, ice-cream sandwiches, 80s music on the radio, children catching fireflies. Definitely one of those evenings I want to remember.
Despite these crazy times, we find joy and peace of being at home and being together. It may not be the summer vacation we dreamed of but so far it is shaping up to be quite a fun filled and memorable experience nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment