Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Books I Read in 2016

It was my goal to read at least 20 books in 2016 and I'm happy to report that I surpassed that goal by 7 books. This past year, I found my way back to making time to read, something I love to do. I read anything from thriller, fiction, comedy, romantic Christmas novels to memoirs and nonfiction books. I do not outline what books I will read when but I do have a running To-Read-List, which gets longer and longer each month. Most book recommendations I get from friends or blogs.
So, here are the books I read in 2016 (in the order I read them):
  1. A Christmas Gift by David Saperstein
  2. Remember Me by Sophie Kinsella*
  3. Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty 
  4. The Last Anniversary by Liane Moriarty
  5. The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty
  6. Three Wishes by Liane Moriarty
  7. Desperate: Hope for the Mom who needs to breathe by Sarah Mae and Sally Clarkson
  8. The 5 Love Languages of Children by Gary D. Chapman and Ross Campbell
  9. Dear Mr. Knightley by Katherine Reay
  10. Weil Sie das Leben liebten by Charlotte Roth (read in German)
  11. Bad Karma by David Safir (read in German : Mieses Karma)
  12. Mieses Karma Hoch 2 by David Safir (read in German: Bad Karma 2)
  13. Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks (read in German: Wie ein Licht in der Nacht)
  14. Nights in Rodanthe by Nicholas Sparks (read in German: Das Laecheln der Sterne)
  15. Love Warrior by Glennon Doyle Melton
  16. Carry on Warrior: Thoughts on Life Unarmed by Glennon Doyle Melton
  17. A Different Beautiful by Courtney Westlake
  18. The Silent Wife by A.SA. Harrison
  19. Das mach' ich doch mit links by Evelyn Sanders (read in German)
  20. Ploetzlich Shakespeare by David Safir (read in German)
  21. Far Above Rubies by Cynthia Polansky
  22. The Christmas Light by Donna VanLiere
  23. Twelve Days of Christmas by Debbie Macomber
  24. Where Angels Go by Debbie Macomber
  25. Mr. Miracle: A Christmas Novel by Debbie Macomber
  26. Starry Night by Debbie Macomber 
  27. Choir of Angels by Debbie Macomber
Favorite book of 2016: Dear Mr. Knightley: I resonated a lot with the main character and it was just the perfect mix of romance and finding one self. Highly recommend the book!
Funniest book of 2016: Ploetzlich Shakespeare: I started out with Bad Karma (Thanks to my brother for the recommendation) and it was hilarious. Part 2 was so and so but Ploetzlich Shakespeare was the best of the three books: When men and women share their lives, it is already difficult. But now imagine, a man and a woman (from different centuries) share one and the same body, which can only mean the chaos is perfect. 
Additionally, while Love Warrior and Carry on Warrior are for sure no comedies, the author did make me laugh quite a bit throughout her books about her own life. Good read for all woman!
Most romantic book of 2016: Starry Night: It was so good, I read it in one day. Around Christmas time, I truly enjoy those contemporary, romantic Christmas novels by Debbie Macomber as they are a fast-paced, easy to follow along and always have a happy ending. 
Most thought-provoking book of 2016: Far Above Rubies: I read this book for one of our book club picks and while the topic of the book is chilling but powerful, it kept me involved and made me think about how humanity can be so cruel and so brave. The book, a compelling and riveting novel, is based on a true story and follows the life of a Dutch woman before, during and after internment at Auschwitz. The author's characterizations are gripping and real. I greatly recommend this book, but bring the tissues and time to digest the story.


New favorite fiction novels of 2016: Liane Moriarty: I read four of her novels this Spring and I enjoyed them all. They are witty, fast-paced and a go-to recommendation if you don't know what book to read next. Her mysteries are enticing, but even more gripping are the completely relatable characters she brings to life in each book. By the way, Big Little Lies, is now an HBO limited series and I'm curious how this great book turned out on TV. 
Best German book of 2016: Weil Sie das Leben liebten (because they loved their lives): This historical fiction novel was set in my hometown and thus, resonated a lot with me. The author describes very well what Berlin looked like and how people lived back in the 1920s and 1930s. While the story line is quite sad and touching, it also shows one woman fight and bravery to realize her dream amidst the rise of the Nazi regime.

*Worst Book of 2016: Remember Me: only read half of the book and couldn't finish it. Usually I enjoy the author's books but this one was too much, so I had to let it go.

And these are some of the books I plan to read this year, in addition to the picks of my local book club. My goal is 25 books, but hoping for more. Reading is my sanctuary; a way to relax and be transported to another place. What are you reading this year? Any good book recommendations for me???                                            Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment