Thursday, May 10, 2018

May Happenings

Can you believe it is already May? I feel like it was just the middle of winter and now we are almost at the end of the school year. And temperature-wise, well we went from winter directly to summer with only a handful of beautiful spring days in between. But we tried to make the most of those days...

Hanging out with friends at the park after school and exploring the creek is always a favorite around here. The boys even built a clubhouse in the bushes:
We all got our haircuts the first week in May and now feel much lighter. This was Amelia's first time getting her hair cut at a salon. Usually I just trimmed the ends but it was time to chop it off. I really love the shorter hair on her and it is much more manageable as well. 
The local Fire department stopped by one morning at Elliot's preschool to teach the children about fire safety and show them their gear and truck. The children loved pretending to be a firefighter while spraying the lawn with the big hose. 
This week was also Teacher Appreciation week and to show our gratitude to their teachers, the kids' brought in a treat for each them. Amelia and I got crafty last Friday afternoon to surprise her teacher with a special message on the classroom door.  
I saw that hanging on the wall while I was at her school and needed to take a picture. Most children wrote about the pros of doing chores, Amelia wrote about the cons. In reality she does quite a few chores around the house and doesn't mind. 
While Derrick was out of town on a business trip, the whole family dynamic was off. So we try our best and do fun things, even though we miss him. Elliot just wasn't feeling it on Tuesday morning:
Another afternoon, another park: 
We have a couple of bar stools by the kitchen counter and every morning, the children sit there to drink their milk and chat with me while I prepare their lunch boxes. And Elliot often sits there when I prepare dinner to show me his creations and chat with me. This is for sure one of their favorite spots in the house and I truly savor that we can be together and can talk about anything or use the counter as a Lego table. My little guy is  constantly working on his engineering skills and proudly shows off his creations (I'm very impressed with the Lego stuff he comes up all by himself):
Watching "Lassie" with my two cuddle bunnies before bedtime: 
On Wednesday afternoon, we spontaneously went to play date at a friend's house. Both husband's were out of town and the Mom's needed some companionship. Friends, sunshine, Popsicles (a wine cooler for the adults) and a sprinkler = happiness. It felt like a summer day and was so much fun. 
Both children had their semi-annual dental check-up this week and did awesome: no cavities. 
And today, Derrick came back and all was good. This little boy just wants to be like him: 

No comments:

Post a Comment