Thursday, August 21, 2014

A New School Year has Started

This week all children in Florida had to go back to school. Even though Amelia went throughout the entire summer to her preschool (The German School of Ft. Lauderdale), they didn't do their regular curriculum but more like a summer camp. She loves being at school and enjoys learning a lot. She loves her teachers, Angela and Patrizia, and playing with her friends. They always do some kind of arts and crafts, reading and discovering new things.

Because she is so interested in learning, I thought it would be a good time to get her started on reading. So, every day we will be spending approximately 20 minutes together to learn about letters and how to put them together to read.  I will be using the book Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons as a teaching tool.
 
We also will do some fun activities, crafts, writing and counting. It will be fun and based on her interests and enjoyment. So far, she has taught herself the ABC's and she can count 1-20 in English and German. I have not given her any instructions, except when she asked for them. So, I will continue not to push her to learn but rather give her the opportunity and guidance needed and I hope she will enjoy it.
 
The other day, Amelia asked me to write some letters with her. She told me which letter to write and I wrote them out for her. Then we traced a couple of each letter together and after that, she traced them herself. I think this is pretty good for a 3-year old.

 
 







No comments:

Post a Comment