Friday, August 22, 2014

Still Sick and Staying Busy

Elliot is still sick. Luckily his fever is down since yesterday morning, but now he has a pretty bad rash, courtesy of the viral infection called Roseola. It is most commonly affecting those between 6 months and 2 years old and is usually marked by several days of high fever, followed by a distinctive rash just as the fever breaks.The high fever often ends abruptly, and at about the same time a pinkish-red flat or raised rash appears on the trunk and spreads over the body.


Even though he was doing ok with the fever, he now is very fussy, irritable, cries a lot (!) and has a decreased appetite (no solid food, just nursing). In short, he is miserable. And so are our nights. I have had never a night like last night. Poor baby screamed most of the night and only napped in between, mostly snuggled in to my arms. And he did say "Ma-Ma" for the first time last night when I picked him up from his crib. I guess, they know who they need most when they don't feel right. :) 

The rash doesn't hurt, but he has a reddish throat, is teething and had pretty bad gas, which caused him to feel very uncomfortable. And there is nothing much I can do at that point, except comfort him and keep my calm. I really hope that this was the worst of it and he gets better from here on. Because we all need some good rest. The entire family is exhausted. My poor husband had to sleep on the couch the last couple of nights in order to get at least some rest.

On the other hand, Amelia is doing just fine. She had Roseola when she was younger and seems to be immune now. But because we can't go out or meet friends right now, we are cooped up inside. It is tough keeping her occupied and happy while taking care of a sick baby. So I try to make extra efforts and keep her busy while Elliot naps. Yesterday, we did Play-Doh and she helped me in the kitchen.

























This morning we did painting and then some bubbles outside, She also helped me weeding in the backyard. But hopefully soon, we can return to our normal routine and be out and about again.









No comments:

Post a Comment