Tuesday, August 9, 2016

First Day of Kindergarten

Today, Amelia had her first day of Kindergarten. She was so excited and ready to go and walked happily over to her new school.
Meanwhile, I'm sitting here wondering how it can be that I have a kid old enough to go to Kindergarten??? This is a big step for her and I'm not sure if I'm ready for it.  This momentous occasion floods me with a whole lot of emotions. Surely, I have dreamed of having a child in school all day but the harsh reality of "letting go" is quite traumatic as a parent. Perhaps if I could keep my child with me all the time, I could keep her safe (Safety being my biggest concern, especially in this day and age). Maybe then I wouldn't need to worry.   Leaving her for 7 hours a day with someone else is a big step and ensures trust and confidence in the teachers and staff that they have her well-being and best interests in mind. As a mom, there is never a good time to let go and while my little girl still has lots to learn at home, she also needs to be able to venture out and learn from others. And please don't get me wrong, I'm ready for some one-on-one time with my baby boy and some quiet and peace at home. Amelia and I are very much alike and she is very energetic, so getting a break from all the whirlwind while she is in school, is a welcome change. 
On the other hand, she definitely is ready though! Amelia loves learning and meeting new people and I'm confident she will blossom at school and have a great time. Despite my fears and misty eyes, I think it is a necessary step for both of us to let go and learn to fly solo. When I left for America, my mom send me this poem on a card and while it was very fitting back then, it fits on this special day too: 
There are two gifts
we should give our children: 
one is roots,
 and the other one is wings. 

And there she goes: proud and full of curiosity and eagerness to learn.
In Germany, when children set off for their first day in school upon entering first grade, their parents/ grandparents present them with a big cardboard cone (Schultuete), prettily decorated and filled with toys, candies, school supplies and other goodies. It is given to the children to make this anxiously awaited first day of school a little bit sweeter. Even though, Amelia only starts kindergarten this year, it is compatible with first grade in Germany as she attends 5 days a week for 7 hours each day Elementary school and will learn the same principles. Thus, she received already a few Schultueten in Germany from her Oma, Opa and cousins and one this morning from us.
Elliot and I were quite sad this morning and my little boy had a rough morning without his "cutter" (nickname for Amelia) at home. He is so attached to her that it will take a while to adjust to the new routine. This is how we felt:
But we are happy for our little girl and the big step she took today. She loved her first (half) day at school and is excited to go back. You go, girl!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment