Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Cooling Off and Ready for Fall to Arrive

Since summer is still in full force and the thermometers  read a 100F/ 38C+  on a daily basis, the best way to cool off is to go swimming at the YMCA. And since my kids love the water, we have been to the pool almost every other day now. Some days, we swim indoors and some days we swim outdoors. Both kids feel so comfortable in the water and love to dive for rings or jump off the edge of the pool and practice their swimming skills that they don't even wear their puddle jumpers in the water anymore. Of course, we are right there next to them in case something unexpected happens.
A little movie to show you how happy and fearless my kids are in the water:
We are looking to sign them up for swim lessons at the Y (Amelia had already swim lessons two years ago) and hope that they can eventually join the swim team there.  

Other than swimming, the kids enjoy being back home. Amelia has adjusted well in Kindergarten and goes happily every day. The third week in and we can tell that she is still tired after being at school for 7 hours and so our afternoons are usually low key: snack, then free play or swimming, some TV time while I cook dinner and then bath, story time and bed. By the end of each week, Amelia looks like this after school:
The other morning, my heart swelled two sizes because I found them sitting in the living room together. She was reading him his favorite book: Room on the broom by Julia Donaldson. I love that she enjoys reading books and that he sits and listens to her read aloud. 
They must have gotten this love for books from us parents because if I have some free time, I will read. My favorite view last week:
While running some errands the other day, Elliot discovered a big duck. 
On Sunday morning, before it got too hot and humid, we took the kids to a nearby park where they rode their bikes and we ran/walked 2.5 miles on a paved trail. This area has an awesome trail system and I can't wait for it to get cooler so that we can do this more regularly. Amelia and Elliot are the perfect training partners on their bikes. 
The afternoon looked a bit more like this since we all were pretty exhausted:
Since September is about here, we are hoping for some cooler temperatures and I'm excited to know that Fall is just around the corner. I love decorating all things Fall/ Halloween and to be outdoors more often. Can't wait for my favorite time of the year to arrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment