Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Fall Break Recap

For the last 7 days (Thursday and Friday the week before the kids were off too), Amelia was on fall break. While we only had the weekend trip to Kentucky planned, we enjoyed the other days at home or little outings to the park and playground. Derrick was off for Columbus Day and we explored a new park that morning. The rest of the day, we spent hanging out in the yard and playing games. Honestly, I didn't take any pictures for a few days and I don't even feel bad about it. Most mornings, the kids and I enjoyed staying in our pj's and just had a relaxing start to the day. For the first few days of fall break, the kids played really well with each other until they got on each other nerves and the daily fighting began again. 
A couple of afternoons, we spent at a big playground where my kids love to play tag with the other children. It only takes them a few minutes to find some willing participants and they are off and running for the next hour, which gives me some time to read a book. Win-win for everyone! Amelia and Elliot also were my training partners when I went for a run at the park on Thursday morning. Together, we can easily go 30 minutes. I'm in pretty good shape right now so I'm thinking of doing a 5K run in the end of October. Just for fun and to challenge myself, no hopes of winning whatsoever. 
We stopped only to chase some geese across the lawn. 
We also spend some time at the arts and craft store and picked up some paint and new supplies. While it is still warmer than normal here (low 80s but it's supposed to cool off by Thursday) during this time of year, we are still spending lots of time outside. The sandbox is always a favorite (followed up with an early bath afterwards):
On Thursday, my little artists painted their hearts out for an hour:
 
We also decorated for Halloween this week and while we are keeping it low-key this year, it still turned out pretty nice. 
On Saturday, Amelia and I decided to go to a kids' crafting event at our local Michaels store (a chain arts and craft retailer) to make some Sugar Skull Masks. While we were the only ones there, they still did the crafting activity for us. We really enjoyed making those masks and for the $2 we paid per participant, we not only took home two masks but also all the remaining supplies. As you can imagine, my girl has been busy making masks for everyone since then. 
The rest of the weekend was spent relaxing at home, doing yard work and enjoying a good BBQ on Sunday night with our property owner. Overall, we enjoyed this break but I'm glad that now we are back to our normal routine. Before I forgot, here is a picture of my new hair-do. Unfortunately, the curly waves only lasted a couple of hours but I sure enjoyed showing them off. 
Happy Tuesday, you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment