Monday, September 12, 2016

Blog-tember Challenge: Day 12- Books

I took the weekend off from the #blogtemberchallenge but now I'm back to full force. Especially since today's prompt is about one of my favorites things: books. We are to name a book we just read, one we are currently reading and one we want to read. As you know by now, I love to read and I have several running book lists. So far, I have read 14 books this year and it could have been a few more, if I didn't binge watch Parenthood this Spring. Since I mentioned before that I just finished Glennon's book Carry On Warrior (Thoughts on Life Unarmed) and I loved it, I figured I will instead include my most favorite book I read a few months ago in the list.
1. A book I just read: 
Recently, I read the best book in quite a while and it is called Dear Mr. Knightley by Katherine Reay. I loved, loved the book so much that I had to buy it since I had to return the other one to the library. I could relate so much with the main character, Sam, and her love for books as well as her fears and hidden emotions. About the story line: Samantha Moore loves Jane Austen and frequently quotes her characters when she is nervous or doesn't want to reveal her true feelings to others. The chapters are a series of letters, written to an unknown person, about Sam's happenings in life, similar to diary entries. This book captivated me from beginning to end and is well written. I highly recommend it. 
2. A book I'm reading now:  
Currently, I'm reading A Different Beautiful: Discovering and Celebrating Beauty in Places You Never Expected by Courtney Westlake. This book is so much more than about her daughter Brenna who was born with a severe, life-threatening skin disorder. It is a book about being reminded to see the world and especially other people thru the eyes of God and that nobody is perfect but we are all different and beautiful in our own way. A very uplifting and inspiring story. Read the book and follow Courtney on her blog to learn more about her daughter's disease and how this family is raising awareness for it. 
3. A book from my list: 
Honestly, my must read list is quite lengthy and there are a few books on there that I can't wait to read, so this is not an easy choice. So here are my top 3:
  1. Love Warrior by Glennon Doyle Melton  - her memoir and Oprah book club pick
  2. Three Wishes by Liane Moriarty - discovered her books this year and love her funny but  intriguing and with a catch stories
  3. Present Over Perfect: Leaving behind frantic for a simpler, more soulful way of living by Shauna Niequist - I always can use a reality check; kids are growing up too fast and I don't want to miss out because I'm constantly busy with ...(what??)

4. Bonus:
Another book I wanted to mention is Bad Karma written by the German author David Safier and was my favorite read during the summer. This book is very funny as it follows a former tv personality thru her afterlife as an ant, a guinea pig and a beagle. While I laughed out loud many times, it also made me think about my own Karma and how I live my life and whether or not I deserve something better in the "afterlife". A definite page turner! (If you can, read it in German)
And now I want to know what are your favorite books? I'm always looking for new suggestions. Happy reading!!!

6 comments:

  1. I've seen Courtney's book floating around a bit.. I love following their story. Definitely need to add it to my reading list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. I followed her story too and I got the book because I read her blog. It was very good, encouraging. If you can, read it.

      Delete
  2. I LOVED Dear Mr Knightley too! Have you read any other of Reay's books! I loved Lizzy & Jane and am super excited for her next book that is coming out in November!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. No, I haven't read any other books of hers but have them on my must read list. I resonated with dear Mr. Knightley so much that I I'm a bit skeptical if I will like her other books as well.

      Delete
  3. Hello! A beautiful different, sign me up for that one today! Love your blog! Have a great Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. I follow Courtney's blog and her book was so encouraging and eye opening. A great read. Thank you. Just my little space about my family here in the world wide web. :)

      Delete