Friday, May 26, 2017

My First Business Trip To Germany

On Mother's Day I had a lovely breakfast with my kids and husband but the day was cut short as I was heading to the airport around lunch time to go on my first business trip to Germany. The company I'm working for is growing their European Market, with a heavy focus on Germany (my homeland), and needed me there to assist with a trade show. Since this was my first business trip after having kids and one that spanned an entire week, there were lots of preparations to make beforehand to ensure everything goes smooth while I'm away. I'm so thankful for my husband who stepped up and willingly took over to make sure I can go on this trip. Before I left, I made sure everyone got a little goody and note from me:
After a long overnight flight, I arrived Monday morning in Stuttgart and my dear friend, Anita, picked me up from the airport. We spent some wonderful and much needed hours together that day, exploring the city, eating ice-cram and chatting away.  
And then for the next three days, I was there to do what I came to do: representing my company at Maintenance Stuttgart. 
Finishing the work day off with a rustic German meal and a beer. Prost!
The trade show went pretty well for us and I enjoyed the experience even though it was exhausting as there was lots of networking, smiling, all-day standing, and blisters on my toes. On Thursday, I even had special guests stopping my booth: my father and his girlfriend Petra. 
Getting along with other exhibitors is always a plus, especially if there is champagne involved:
Meanwhile at home:  
Please note the picture of me on the dinner table because they missed me.
On Thursday night, my co-worker and I packed up the booth and then I headed for a couple of days to Berlin to visit my family before flying back home. By coincidence, my father and Petra were in Stuttgart visiting his aunt and were able to take me back to Berlin by car. But before driving back, I met my dad's aunt and her husband for the first time. Tantchen und Onkel are the two sweetest people and so funny. I don't think I laughed that much during a dinnertime conversation before. 
On Friday I enjoyed a slow start with a sunny breakfast in the yard at my mother's house after arriving around 2:30am in Berlin. We did some shopping that morning before I visited my best friend Nadine and her family for a couple of hours that afternoon. Even though, the visit was very short, we loved catching up with each other and just hanging out for a bit. Despite the distance, I am blessed to have a few great friends in Europe who are there for me and don't mind if we can't see each other for several months or years. But that is also why we savor these short and infrequent visits much more and the  time we do spend together becomes more precious. 
Continuing the tradition of a friendly game of cards between mother and daughter. My grandma always loved played cards with us when we visited her and both my mom and I enjoy following in her footsteps. 
On Saturday, my mom, Juergen and myself went to window shop and eat some lunch in the nearby town of Potsdam. 
Like mother, like daughter:
That day, my little brother and his wife Anna also stopped by for a few minutes to say hello before continuing on to their vacation domicile. 
I also made sure to visit my grandma's and uncle's grave site while I was in town. I still miss them both a lot and no visit back home is the same anymore... 
That night, Juergen ensured that my well-being concerning food was guaranteed:
Actually, the entire week I ate good food and I was especially fond of the fact that it was asparagus season. 
And on Sunday morning, it was already time to say goodbye as my flight back to the U.S. was leaving early afternoon. After checking my luggage in at the airport, my dad and Petra took me get one last German meal and my favorite summer beverage (Berliner Weisse).
A last hug goodbye before going thru security: 
This first business trip of mine was definitely an exciting one and I'm fortunate to be employed by a company who allows me to extend my stay a couple of extra days so that I can to spend time with my family. Even though the time in Berlin was way too short to see everyone, it felt great being home for a few hours. But I was also ready to get back to my family as I missed my kids and husband tremendously that week and couldn't wait to be in their arms again. Silly faces for the win:

No comments:

Post a Comment