Sunday, July 31, 2016

Wedding Weekend - Part I

Finally, the highlight of the summer and the main reason why we came to Germany has arrived... my little brother is getting married. We anticipated this event for the past few months and have been preparing for it: collecting baby pictures of my brother, composing a poem about his childhood, creating a page for the wedding paper, buying gifts and deciding what to wear. 
The location of the wedding was held in the beautiful Spreewald region (a biosphere reserve), an hour southeast of Berlin. We, Oma and Opa Juergen as well as my mom's cousin, her husband and my aunt all arrived already on Friday afternoon and took advantage of what the area has to offer by going on a traditional, one hour, punt tour on the many waterways (200 small canals totaling 1,300 km) surrounding the small town of Lehde. The punt tours lead thru beautiful villages with block house architecture where you can still see descendants of the first settlers (Slavic tribes) of this region wearing their traditional clothing and offering their foods and arts and crafts to the many tourists. 
 
We finished the evening off by having a traditional dinner in downtown Lehde:
And then it was the day of the wedding. The weather was just right and we all were dressed and ready to get my brother married off. But first a few pictures with the family:
 
 

My brother, his wife and Elliot
After an hour bus ride we arrived at the registry office. Here comes the beautiful bride and my new sister-in-law, Anna:
They chose red, white and blue as their wedding colors because for their love for France. 
And then the official part began: The rings, the ceremony, the first kiss as husband and wife and signing of the papers. I may had some tears in my eyes during the ceremony. I can't believe my little brother is all grown up and a married man now.
 

 

May I present to you Mr. and Mrs. Christ-Thilo aka the happy couple:
We all were delighted and ready to congratulate them. The proud mother of the groom and Amelia.
Coming up next, the wedding celebration!

No comments:

Post a Comment