Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Weekend Trip to Paris

Since one of my best friends from childhood lives in Paris, and we haven't seen each other in 4 years, a couple of months ago I decided to book a flight to Paris. So, on Friday evening my mom and son brought me to the airport (Amelia stayed the weekend with her Opa in Berlin) and an 1.5 hour later, I arrived in Paris. Even though, a few years have passed since we saw each other last, it only took a hug to continue where we have left off. And so Franzi (yes, we both have the same name) and I chatted till 2am in the morning. 
Since Franzi's husband was away for the weekend, it was all about us girls. Saturday morning, we enjoyed a typical French breakfast on her balcony, with view to Paris in the distance.
After some shopping, baking and nap time for the little ones, we headed to a summer festival at her daughter's preschool. When I was younger, my French was pretty fluent but now it takes some time to remember all the right words. Luckily, most people do speak English and I still understand when someone speaks to me in French and so I was able to communicate with some people as well. The puppet show was fun and not only for the little kids. 
That same night, Germany played soccer vs. Italy in the quarter finals of the European Championship and Franzi's friend invited all 4 of us to watch the game with them. It was extra fun as her husband was part Italian and we cheered our teams on till the last penalty kick. What a night: it took 9 penalty kicks to win. Go Germany!
On Sunday we slept in, even the kids. Since the weather turned cooler and it started to rain, we enjoyed a lazy Sunday. Because at night, France played Iceland and we had to cheer for the National team, of course. But first some face paint: Allez les Bleus!
The next morning, we got up early as Franzi had to go to work and I went sightseeing. Because of all the attacks lately, I didn't feel like going in to any big attractions but I enjoyed my own little walking tour around Paris after a breakfast in a cafe. 
Place Saint Michel
Notre Dame Cathedral: 
Then I walked across the Seine...
and along beautiful buildings and architecture...
 ...towards the Louvre:
Next, I walked thru the Tuileries garden, a public parc located between the Louvre Museum and the Place de la Concorde. 
Pretty view of the Eiffel tower:
For lunch I met my friend and before she dropped me off at the airport, I got a little bit of shopping done too. I love looking at food when visiting other countries:
My visit to Paris was short but very enjoyable. There is never enough time when catching up with a good friend though. And one can never go wrong with a visit to Paris. Paris, I'm definitely coming back one day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment