Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Blog-tember Challenge: Day 20 - Motherhood is hard

Today is all about what we believe and what we want others to know about. It is personal and many things came to my mind but I settled on this topic because I live it day in and day out. The prompt is:
Something you wish more people knew or believed.
I want people to know that motherhood is hard and that being a stay-at-home mom is not a vacation. It is the toughest job I ever held and so underpaid and physically draining but also the best job in the world ever. Being home with my kids means that I can be there for all their big milestones but it also means that I am present for every tantrum and argument and crying fit they throw (and believe me these outweigh by far the milestones). These precious little children can rob your sleep, exhaust you and leave you brain dead. Sometimes, even loneliness creeps in because you miss having adult conversations and dressing up. Motherhood also means to give every day, all day long all you have and more and be available for 24+ hours a day (as I'm writing this my 2 year old is sitting on top me wanting his mommy). There is no personal time off, no bathroom break without someone interrupting you (if the kids don't show up, the cat will), and no chitchat at the water cooler. The days seem to pass slowly but then the weeks fly by and at once our babies are all grown up.  While I never imagined being a mom and staying home with my children can be this exhausting on so many levels, it also brings joy to my heart...their belly laughs, their spontaneous hugs and kisses and the fact that every morning they wake up with a smile, ready to start off anew. While mommy guilt is a serious condition and can ruin any good day, my children also teach me that there is no right or wrong way to be a mom. As long as they can feel the love and know we do our best, they are good. 
Yes, Motherhood is hard, never ending work and nothing what I ever imagined but also everything I never knew to hope for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment