Monday, September 12, 2016

Weekly Happenings

Even though we had a short, 4-day week, it felt like we were constantly on the go and getting things done. I met a new friend for coffee on Tuesday night and also went to my first LulaRoe party, where I purchased a couple of shirts and a pair of leggings (I got a few leggings of the same material at Marshalls the other day for a steal) for myself and a pair for Amelia too. The clothes might be a bit pricey but they are so comfy and soft and I can't wait for it to get cooler so I can wear them. 

Elliot and I also toured a couple of preschools in the area but I'm still deciding which one to choose. He is on the waiting list for my favorite one and I think, we might just hold out till a spot opens for him there. We would like for him to go two days a week and here, normal preschool hours are from 9am - 3pm, including a lunch and a nap at school. 

On Thursday, the kids had their semi-annual dental check-up and cleaning. We found a really great family dental office near by and the staff and dentist were so sweet and loving that it felt more like we were at the carnival  instead of at the dentist. 
Both kids did great with their check-ups and got an excellent report. It was Elliot's first time for his teeth to be cleaned (since he refused to open his mouth at the last visit in February) and he looked like a pro. 









Little dentists in training: 
 

As a reward for their good behavior and healthy teeth, the dentist gave them a each a balloon, some little tokens, a t-shirt and stickers. I told her that I expect the same treasures at my dental check-up. :)
Before Amelia had to go back to school, we stopped for lunch at Chick-fil-A. The kids love it there and I know that the food is as good as it can get. Once in a while, we all need a little treat and this is there favorite spot. Also that same day, Amelia had a reptile assembly in the gymnasium with the whole school. It was her first assembly and according to the teacher, the class did a good job of sitting on their bottoms and listening. They learned about snakes, lizards and turtles. 
I also signed up to be a co-room mom for Amelia's class and will help out with different activities throughout the year such as volunteering, party planning, being a liaison between the teacher and the other parents and fundraising. I have lots of ideas and can't wait to be more involved at her school. To be honest, the school system here is by far not as good as the one in NC (or FL) and while her teacher is friendly and a veteran in the school system (teaching for 21 years), she is not as loving and nurturing as I would like her to be for those kindergartners. The class room is very crowded and decorations are limited so I hope to spruce it up a bit. I just have to learn to accept that it is different here and offer my support and help when I can. 
Upcoming events at Amelia's school
The weekend came and went and we made the most of it. Between shopping for new bedding and reusable water bottles for the kids and doing some chores around the house, I also put some Fall decorations up (mainly in the dining area but we will add Halloween decorations in October). 
I captured this beautiful sunset on Saturday evening in our backyard: 
On Sunday it finally got a bit cooler and so we went to the park to run, bike and collect some acorns and throw rocks into the river. We spent over an hour at the park and it felt great. 
 


As mentioned last week, we also were invited by Lisa and her family for a get-together at her house that evening. The food was delicious, the company great and the kids had a ball. In fact, time passed by so quickly that I totally forgot to snap any pictures. 

While Daddy is away on business this week, the kids and I will make the best of it. Solo parenting is never easy nor as fun but by keeping meals simple and our regular routines and staying busy during the day, time will pass quickly until he is back home again. Monday started already off  with a bang as it was my first MOPs (Mothers of Preschoolers) meeting this season. I really enjoyed it and met so many nice ladies and I feel that it will be a great year with lots of new friendships, things to learn and events to attend to. Now, it is time for school pick-up and an easy afternoon at home. I will need to tag a lot of consignment items this week as the Fall sale is coming up and we have plenty of stuff to sell. Once again, change of season also means decluttering the house and getting organized. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment